Man seriously assaulted at Wayville

Source: South Australia Police

A man has been rushed to hospital after allegedly being stabbed at Wayville.

Just before 6.30pm on Wednesday 4 August, police and paramedics were called to a service station on Goodwood Road where the victim was found with stab wounds to his abdomen. The victim has been taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital with life threatening injuries.

Eastern District CIB were called to the scene and a short time ago they detained a man who is currently assisting them with their enquiries.

Crime Scene examiners will be attending and investigations are continuing.

Anyone with any information about this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at www.crimestopperssa.com.au

Man charged with foreign incursion offence by Queensland Joint Counter Terrorism Team

Source: Australian Federal Police

A 39-year-old man has been charged with preparation for foreign incursions as part of a Queensland Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) investigation into a group involved in travelling to Syria to engage in hostile activity.

It will be alleged the man played a senior role in a Brisbane-based group which maintained a religiously motivated violent extremist ideology and a desire to travel to Syria to engage in hostile activities. 

The man was arrested on a Queensland warrant by members of the New South Wales JCTT on Friday, 16 July 2021 when he arrived in Australia at Sydney International Airport from Saudi Arabia, where he had been located since 2019.

The man was subject to mandatory quarantine before being extradited to Queensland yesterday (Tuesday, 3 August 2021).

Police will allege the man was a founding senior figure in an organisation involved with providing financial aid to people who subsequently departed Australia to participate in the Syrian conflict with Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a group engaged in hostile activities against Syrian government forces.

The 39-year-old man has been charged with preparations for incursions into foreign States for purpose of engaging in hostile activities, contrary to s7(1)(e) of the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978 (Cth).

The maximum penalty if convicted of this offence is 10 years imprisonment.

He appeared briefly before Brisbane Magistrates Court today (Wednesday, 4 August, 2021). The matter was adjourned and the man will reappear in Court tomorrow (Thursday, 5 August 2021).

There is no ongoing threat to the community relating to this investigation.

AFP Assistant Commissioner Counter Terrorism Scott Lee said the arrest shows the QLD JCTT is committed to keeping the community safe.

“The AFP will continue to discourage and disrupt Australians from fighting overseas and holding people to account for their involvement in supporting terrorism and terrorist organisations,” he said.

“The arrest highlights the hard work and professionalism of the people and agencies involved in the JCTTs around Australia and their dedication to protect the community.”

Queensland Police Service (QPS) Security and Counter-Terrorism Command Assistant Commissioner Debbie Platz said the QPS was proud to continue working with the AFP to support investigations such as this to prevent and disrupt any form of terrorism.

“Our agencies continue to work collaboratively not just in investigating and prosecuting offenders but also in the field of prevention and early intervention through to responding and disrupting terrorist activity,” Assistant Commissioner Platz said.

“Working together in the Queensland JCTT ensures we can provide ongoing attention and resources to keep Queenslanders safe.”

The Queensland JCTT is comprised of members of the Australian Federal Police, Queensland Police Service and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation.

Anyone with information about extremist activity or possible threats to the community should come forward, no matter how small or insignificant you may think the information may be. The National Security Hotline is 1800 123 400.

Media enquiries

AFP Media: (02) 5126 9297

Pair arrested at Pullman Hotel

Source: South Australia Police

Police have arrested two men after they allegedly failed to comply with Emergency Management Act Directions at the Pullman Hotel.

Just after 2pm today (Wednesday 4 August), police had cause to speak to the men after they failed to remain within their rooms and were not wearing a mask.

The pair arrived today as prohibited travellers on a flight from Melbourne and were required to comply with Supervised Quarantine Directions.

A 19-year-old and a 21-year-old, both from Victoria, have been charged with failing to comply with a direction.

They have been refused bail to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Updated Activities Associated Direction No 7 – 5 August 2021

Source: South Australia Police

The following restrictions apply:

Density Requirements

The following density requirements apply to the conduct of defined public activities:

  • Indoor or Outdoor Place- 1 person per 2 square metres
  • Indoor Fitness/Sporting Facility-  1 person per 4 square metres

Note: Staff and staff areas are not included in calculations.

Gathering Provisions

The following gathering provisions apply:

  • Gathering/Event at a relevant Licensed Premises (e.g. party)– 1 person per 2 sqm and the capacity is defined by the size of the venue.
  • Gathering/Event at a Private Place– 10 people maximum, 1 person per 2 sqm.
  • Private Residence– Limit of 10 people at a private residence (including people who ordinarily reside at a premises).

Note: Where the number of people who live at the residence exceeds 10 they are permitted. For example where 12 people live at house.

  • Wedding or funeral at any place (excluding a residential premises)–  50 people and 1 person per 2 sqm. If at a residential premises 10 people only. If at licensed premises, 1 person per 2 sqm.

Fitness

The following restrictions apply:

  • Indoor fitness facilities are restricted to 1 person per 4 sqm in the entire facility. This also applies to a single room or enclosed space.
  • Dancefloors in dance studios must also apply the 1 person per 4 sqm.
  • Outdoor fitness is restricted to 1 person per 2 sqm.
  • People must still remain physically distanced and separated.
  • A person must wear a mask at an indoor fitness facility (except while exercising).

Sport

Team, club, school and competition sports can resume but the following restrictions apply:

  • Participants: 1 person per 4 sqm for indoor sports, 1 person per 2 sqm for outdoor sports.
  • No spectators permitted for indoor sports. Note: One person is permitted to attend if they are required to be present as a caregiver for a participant.
  • Spectators permitted at outdoor sports, but spectators must wear a mask.
  • Seated consumption of food and beverage (outdoors and indoors). Communal food and beverages are not permitted.

Consumption of Food and Beverages

Food or beverages which are served for consumption at venues (including pubs, cafes, clubs, restaurants, wineries, etc.) can only be consumed while seated (indoors or outdoors). Communal food and beverages are not permitted.

Masks

Masks must be worn in the following locations:

  • passenger transport services
  • shared indoor public places (not at indoor fitness facilities when undertaking exercise)
  • personal care services
  • health care services
  • high risk settings
  • Outdoor sporting events (spectators)

Note- A mask is not required if the person is eating or drinking. A mask can be removed by a customer in personal care services or health care services when they are receiving the service if the mask would reasonably interfere with the provision of the service. Members of a bridal party can remove a mask during the wedding ceremony and photographs regardless of the venue.

The following activities are still not permitted:

  • Dancing– is not permitted unless by the bridal party at a wedding or at a fitness dance studio where alcohol is not served.
  • Singing– is not permitted in enclosed, non-residential premises unless for the purposes of education, an individual lesson, the person is performing (including backup singers). Karaoke and Choirs are not permitted.
  • Shisha/Hookah is not permitted.

Contact tracing systems, COVID Safe Plans, COVID Marshals, QR Codes and Physical Distancing still apply.

The information above only highlights the key content of the Direction and does not reflect all requirements. Members of the public are encouraged to read the Directions for further information on current restrictions.

For all existing Directions, tables and frequently asked questions and other information can be found here: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/emergency-declarations

If you require further information you can call the SA COVID-19 Information Line on 1800 253 787 between the hours of 9am to 8pm Mon – Fri and 9am to 5pm Sat – Sun or go to the SA Health website at www.sahealth.sa.gov.au or www.sa.gov.au/covid-19

Two Tasmanians fined for failing to comply with Stay-at-Home Order

Source: Tasmania Police

]]>

Two Tasmanians fined for failing to comply with Stay-at-Home Order

Wednesday, 4 August 2021 – 1:46 pm.

Tasmania Police continues to monitor compliance with the Stay-at-Home Order issued by the Director of Public Health.
On Tuesday, two people received infringement notices for not staying ‘at home’ as directed. The penalty for failing to comply with the stay-at-home order is $778.50.
A 39-year-old woman from Northern Tasmania who recently returned from Queensland breached the order by attending a family gathering on Saturday. Information was reported to police who investigated and later spoke to the woman and issued the fine.
In a separate matter, a 52-year-old Launceston woman who had also recently returned from Queensland was fined after police received information that she had attended a shopping complex without wearing a mask. 
Neither woman had been in a high-risk premises while in Queensland, and as such the risk to others in the wider Tasmanian community is low.
Inspector John Toohey from the State Police Operations Centre said Tasmania Police will continue to conduct both targeted and random checks of those subject to the order.
“The changing COVID environment with the Delta strain has presented significant challenges in mainland states and we need to ensure the community complies with directions,” he said. 
“To date we have taken an educative approach which is still very important to continue to influence behaviours, but where a blatant act is identified in breach of a Public Health Direction, those disobeying the order should expect to be issued with a $778.50 fine.”
The stay-at-home order will remain in place until 4pm on Sunday 8 August 2021.
Any person who has arrived from one of the 11 specified Local Government Areas in Queensland on or after 17 July (but prior to 4pm on 31 July) is required to ‘stay-at-home’ except for limited reasons. If away from their home, they must wear a mask. 
For the most up to date information and exceptions please refer to the Tasmanian Coronavirus website at https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/.
Anyone arriving after 4pm on 31 July 2021 is subject to 14 days quarantine.

Charges – Sexual intercourse without consent – Darwin City

Source: Northern Territory Police

Northern Territory Police have charged a man in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a woman in Darwin City last week.

The 36-year-old man was arrested yesterday after he allegedly sexually assaulted a 43-year-old female in the vicinity of Woods and McLachlan Streets on the 28 July 2021.

He was later charged with:

  • 1 x Sexual intercourse without consent
  • 1 x Stealing
  • 5 x Obtain benefit by deception

He was remanded to face Darwin Local Court today.

Toowoomba man sentenced to jail over possessing child abuse material

Source: Australian Federal Police

**Editor’s Note: An image related to this investigation is available via Hightail

A 29-year-old Toowoomba man has been sentenced to three years and two months in jail after pleading guilty to child exploitation offences following an Australian Federal Police child protection investigation.

Officers from the Brisbane Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (JACET) executed a search warrant at an address in Newtown, Toowoomba on 22 September 2020, after receiving a report from the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) in the United States.

AFP investigators found the man had been using online platform MeetMe to engage with other users while posing as the mother of an underage child and transmitting child abuse material.

Today (3 August 2021), the man pleaded guilty to five charges including; possessing or controlling child abuse material, using a carriage service to access child abuse material and three counts of using a carriage service to transmit child abuse material.

Detective Superintendent Child Protection Operations Paula Hudson said the AFP works tirelessly with international law enforcement partners to keep children safe.

“Individuals who possess, access and transmit child abuse material are part of the problem. They create the market for child abuse material online, which causes further harm to children,” Detective Superintendent Hudson said.

“The AFP will never relinquish our duty to protect children online and in the real world, this outcome today should serve as a warning to those who seek to spread child abuse material – we will find you and you will be prosecuted.”

Members of the public who have any information about this network or people involved in child abuse and exploitation are urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

You can also make a report online by alerting the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation via the Report Abuse button.

If you or someone you know are impacted by child sexual abuse and online exploitation there are support services available.

Advice and support for parents and carers about how they can help protection children online can be found at ThinkUKnow, an AFP-led education program designed to prevent online child sexual exploitation.

Note to Media:

Use of term ‘CHILD ABUSE’ MATERIAL NOT ‘CHILD PORNOGRAPHY’

The correct legal term is Child Abuse Material – the move to this wording was among amendments to Commonwealth legislation in 2019 to more accurately reflect the gravity of the crimes and the harm inflicted on victims. Use of the phrase “child pornography” is inaccurate and benefits child sex abusers because it:

  • indicates legitimacy and compliance on the part of the victim and therefore legality on the part of the abuser; and
  • conjures images of children posing in ‘provocative’ positions, rather than suffering horrific abuse.

Every photograph or video captures an actual situation where a child has been abused.

Media enquiries

AFP Media: (02) 5126 9297

Serious crash at Mt Barker

Source: South Australia Police

Police are currently at the scene of a serious crash at Mount Barker.

Just after 4pm on Tuesday 3 August, police and paramedics were called to Gawler Street, after a child was hit be a car.

The child has been taken to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital in a serious condition.

Updated Cross Border Travel Direction 3 August 2021

Source: South Australia Police

The Emergency Management (Cross Border Travel – Associated Direction No 37) (COVID-19) Direction 2021 has been revoked and replaced by the Emergency Management (Cross Border Travel – Associated Direction No 38) (COVID-19) Direction 2021. This Direction came into effect at 1.46 pm on Tuesday 3 August 2021.

Effective as of 1.46 pm on Tuesday 3 August 2021:

Any person that transits through Sydney Airport from another state will be subject to level 4 requirements upon arrival in South Australia:

  • COVID-19 test on day 1, 5, & 13
  • Must self-quarantine for 14 days
  • A person must wear a face mask (covering mouth and nose) at any time that they come into contact with the public.

Exceptions include:

Travellers from Vic and Greater Brisbane, are subject to level 6 requirements (prohibited from entering) unless they are essential travellers or permitted arrivals which they are subject to level 4 requirements.

Travellers from NSW are still subject to level 6 requirements (prohibited from entering), unless they are Commonwealth MP or staff or are escaping Domestic Violence arrivals that are subject to level 5 requirements.

Travellers from ACT are still subject to level 6 requirements (prohibited from entering), unless they are Commonwealth MP or staff or are and essential travellers that are subject to level 4 requirements.

Should the traveller leave the airport they will be considered as a traveller from NSW and be subject to level 6 requirements (prohibited from entering), unless they have an exemption from an authorised officer.

Note: From today, Commercial Transport and Freight Operators who arrive from New South Wales and furniture removalists arriving from Australian Capital Territory or Victoria are required to present evidence they have undertaken a COVID-19 test within the previous 72 hours and must use an approved contact tracing system, including at the testing station (or they will be subject to testing on days 1, 5 and 13).

Other existing requirements remain. The information above only highlights the changes key made to the Directions and does not reflect all requirements. Members of the public are encouraged to see the full Directions for further information.

All existing directions, frequently asked questions and other information can be found here: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/emergency-declarations

If you require further information you can call the SA COVID-19 Information Line on 1800 253 787 between the hours of 9am to 5pm 7 days per week or go to the SA Health website at www.sahealth.sa.gov.au or www.sa.gov.au/covid-19

Darwin Cup Wrap Up

Source: Northern Territory Police

Northern Territory Police are pleased to report well-behaved crowds at the Darwin Cup and follow up after-party in Darwin City. Intoxication and dehydration were the main concern for police as a small number of racegoers chose to spend the day drinking irresponsibly.  

 Police conducted several Random Breath Stations around Fannie Bay Racecourse. 932 negative road side tests were returned with one caution issued.

Overall the 12,000-strong race crowd was well behaved with only two arrests at the event and four in the CBD later in the evening, all alcohol related. Three people were also taken into protective custody in the CBD. 

 Additionally, police rendered first aid to three people for minor injuries and one person for an asthma attack.

 Superintendent Daniel Shean said, “Police would like to thank the vast majority of Darwin racegoers for attending the Cup Carnival and enjoying the day responsibly. We understand that a day at the races often comes with a drink, however, that is no excuse to drink irresponsibly. Overall it was a great day.”