Nine World War Two medals stolen during Frankston burglary

Source: State of Victoria Police

Thursday, 16 July 2020 11:52

Frankston Crime Investigation Unit detectives are investigating after nine war medals were stolen during a burglary in Frankston last week.

The burglary occurred at a Margate Avenue address sometime between 5pm on 8 July and 5pm on 10 July.

The victim, a 91-year-old man, returned home and discovered it had been ransacked with nine World War 2 medals stolen, including MBE and Citation medals.

It is believed a substantial amount of cash, jewellery, an army uniform, and other items were also stolen during the incident.

Detectives also believe the offender defecated at the side of the house and used some of the stolen clothing to clean themselves.

Investigators have released images of some of the unique items in the hope someone may recognise them and come forward.

Anyone with information or who witnessed suspicious activity in the area is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Nikki Ladgrove

Media Advisor

90265

Man shot by police following assault on woman in Gladstone Park

Source: State of Victoria Police

Thursday, 16 July 2020 08:02

A man had died following a police shooting in Gladstone Park this afternoon.

About 3.30pm police were called to parkland in Katrina Drive after reports of a man assaulting a woman.

Upon police arrival, members have discharged their firearm resulting in the death of a male.

The woman is in a critical condition.

Homicide Squad detectives will investigate the incident which will be oversighted by Professional Standards Command, as per protocol when a police firearm is discharged.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Leading Senior Constable Rohan Imms

Media Officer

90368

City invites comment on new draft Itinerant Trading Policy

Source: State of Victoria Local Government

The City of Greater Bendigo is inviting community feedback on a new draft Itinerant Trading Policy to help guide the City’s decisions and support the ongoing management of itinerant trading across the municipality.

The draft policy establishes guiding principles, formalises roles and responsibilities and provides for a transparent, consistent and fair approach to itinerant trading throughout Greater Bendigo.

City of Greater Bendigo Safe and healthy Environments Acting Manager Sam Johnston said itinerant trading is the use of public land for commercial purposes.

“Commercial activity on public land is a privilege, not a right and it’s important for the approval process to be guided by clear policy for the benefit of the whole community,” Mr Johnston said.

“While the City’s Community Local Law sets out what activities require a permit in public spaces including itinerant trading, the policy has been developed to formalise the application of the Local Law, where historically applications were managed on a case by case basis.

“The new draft policy strikes a balance between commercialisation of public spaces and the need to preserve those spaces for nonexclusive use.

“The City generally supports itinerant trading where it is safe to do so and recognises the many benefits it contributes to the liveability of Greater Bendigo, the activation of public spaces and the vibrancy of the City.

“The draft policy will help the City to balance these benefits with the need to ensure public spaces are safe and well managed on behalf of the community, for the benefit of everyone.”

The key features of the draft policy include:

  • A two-year transition to a public tender process for sites deemed to be highly desirable and sustainable such as Lake Weeroona.
  • A place making approach where applications will be considered for their activation and contribution to the public space.
  • Clarification of roles and responsibilities.
  • Expectations of traders where utilities such as power and water are required.
  • Approval processes for applications where the City is the public land manager, not the land owner.
  • Formalised appeal processes where applicants can have decisions reviewed.
  • Alignment with the City’s other strategies and policies such as healthy eating guidelines.
  • Increases of the minimum public liability and professional indemnity insurance from the current $10 million to $20 million for traders.

“The City is aware that the draft policy could have a significant impact on itinerant traders that hold a current licence and have contacted them direct to inform them about the draft policy and to encourage them to make comment.

“We are also keen to hear from members of the community to ensure that the policy also reflects their views about itinerant trading on public land.”

The draft policy is available to view online at www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/Services/Local-laws Submissions must be received by the City by Friday August 7 and should be emailed to [email protected]

Driver caught over the limit at Covid checkpoint in Longwarry

Source: State of Victoria Police

Thursday, 16 July 2020 04:46

Police from the State Highway Patrol (South East) Unit stopped a drink driver at the Covid checkpoint in Longwarry early this morning.

Officers noticed the car on the Princes Highway stop just short of the checkpoint and observed the driver and passenger change places just after midday.

The car then proceeded to the checkpoint where the original driver returned a positive preliminary breath test.

The 59-year-old Endeavour Hills man was also found to be driving unlicensed.

A subsequent evidentiary breath test furnished a reading of .187.

The man’s vehicle was impounded for a period of 30 days at a cost of $895.

It is expected the man will be charged on summons for drink driving and other traffic related matters.

The driver was en route to Morwell for legitimate business purposes and as such has not breached the Chief Health Officers instructions.

Whilst police are maintaining roadblocks, police continue to actively detect motorists committing traffic offences

Leading Senior Constable Rohan Imms

Media Officer

90366

Missing Tarneit man Harrison Wauchope

Source: State of Victoria Police

Thursday, 16 July 2020 03:47

Police are appealing for public assistance to help locate missing Tarneit man Harrison Wauchope.

The 20-year-old was last seen leaving his Nicholas Street home on 9 July.

Police and family hold concerns for Harrison’s welfare as his disappearance is out of character.

Police have released an image of Harrison in the hope someone recognises him and can provide information regarding his current whereabouts.

Harrison is described to be about 160cm tall, with a thin build, long black hair and green eyes.

Anyone with information about Harrison is urged to contact Werribee Police Station on 9742 9444.

Leading Senior Constable Kendra Jackson

Media Officer

90532

Police continue to search for missing man Wallace McGown

Source: State of Victoria Police

Thursday, 16 July 2020 01:31

Police have launched an air and ground search for Wallace McGown after he went missing in Molyullah yesterday.

Wallace set out for his daily walk from his Watchbox Creek Road residence about 11am, Wednesday 15 July, and has not been seen since.

Police and family hold serious concerns for his welfare as the 85-year-old has dementia.

Wallace was last seen wearing black track pants, a black thermal skivy and ASICS runners.

The Police Airwing, Search and Rescue Squad, Dog Squad, Mounted Branch, and local uniform members are today searching Molyullah and surrounding areas.

Police are being supported by CFA and the State Emergency Services in searching for Wallace.

Anyone who sees Wallace or has information on his current whereabouts is urged to call Benalla Police Station on 5760 0200.

Nikki Ladgrove

Media Officer

90341

Man charged as part of JACET investigation

Source: State of Victoria Police

A man will be appearing at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today after he was charged earlier this month by detectives from the Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (JACET) as part of an ongoing investigation.

The investigation related to a number of alleged online offences relating to child abuse material.

On 26 June, JACET detectives executed a warrant at his property and seized a range of electronic devices which were then forensically examined.

The 25-year-old Rowville man was subsequently arrested by police on 2 July and charged with the following offences:

• Use carriage service for child abuse material – solicit

• Use carriage service for child abuse material – cause transmit to self

• Use carriage service for child abuse material – produce

• Use carriage service for indecent communications

• Possess child abuse material

He faced Melbourne Magistrates Court that day and was remanded in custody to appear again on 16 July.

A number of victims have been identified at three schools in Melbourne’s south east suburbs.

Police are working closely with those schools to ensure the relevant support is in place for the victims who have so far been identified.

The welfare of those victims remains a priority for Victoria Police.

At this time, no contact offending has been identified and the investigation and victim identification process remains ongoing.

Victoria Police encourages parents and carers to be proactive and have regular discussions with young people about online safety and risks.

They should also monitor their children’s online activity and if required, have access to their child’s device and online accounts so risky behaviour can be identified as early as possible.

It’s so important that everyone understands the warning signs of unwanted contact, how to protect your privacy online, and how to report any suspicious activity.

For more information and access to tools, resources and advice, as well as reporting and support services, please visit www.thinkuknow.org.au, www.accce.gov.au and www.esafety.gov.au

Anyone with any information about online offending is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Natalie Webster

Media Officer

90057

Victorian Hospitals Ready To Fight Coronavirus

Source: Government of Victoria 2

The Victorian Government will pause all Category 3 elective surgery in Metro Melbourne, as it continues to prepare the state’s health system to protect Victorians from coronavirus.

Whilst all Victorians are urged to follow the rules to keep our community safe, the Government will pause all Category 3 elective surgery to ensure we have spare beds and workforce capacity, if the state was to experience an increase in cases.

Elective surgery will also be reduced to no more than 50 per cent of usual activity across all public hospitals and 75 per cent in private hospitals. This means private hospitals can continue to take on public category one and urgent category two surgery, while we free up extra capacity across the whole system.

There will be no changes to elective surgery in regional Victoria, but we will continue to ensure these hospitals are well prepared.

Hundreds of new beds and thousands of pieces of medical equipment also continue to be pumped into Victorian hospitals as the state’s health system gears up for increased activity from coronavirus.

Hospitals have been preparing to tackle this unprecedented global pandemic since January – with the capacity to rapidly scale up and down based on current modelling from public health experts.

Since the pandemic began more than 1,000 spaces for ICU and critical care beds have been created or upgraded so they are suitable for coronavirus patients. Extra equipment continues to be delivered to activate these beds, with additional beds coming online each week while works are underway on converting more treatment spaces.

A key element of our plan has been reopening the former Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, now known as St Vincent’s Hospital on the Park, to prepare an extra 84 beds into the health system. The $30 million project saw 650 construction workers and tradespeople working over 60,000 hours to recommission the building.

Extra beds have also been delivered at Casey Hospital, Baxter House in Geelong, Bendigo Hospital and Shepparton Hospital to ensure patients can continue to get the care they need no matter where they live.

Should demand for ICU beds increase surge, plans are in place to convert a thousand more critical care spaces to treat coronavirus cases within our hospitals. This includes upgrading operating theatres, recovery and other ward areas, emergency department spaces, and if really required, more beds can be opened in modular facilities in hospital carparks.

More than 86 million gloves, more than 34 million surgical masks, 1.4 million N95 masks, 2.2 million face shields are currently available in Victoria’s warehouse ready to be distributed to health services across the state.

We have more than 1,200 ventilators currently in Victorian health services, hundreds more ready to deploy in the warehouse if needed and thousands more on order – as well as more than a thousand IV pumps and hundreds of patient monitors.

For information about coronavirus or to find your nearest testing site visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au or call 1800 675 398.

Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews

“We’ve got the beds and equipment ready to ensure our health system can rapidly scale up and down as needed – based on the advice and modelling of our public health team.”

“We have thankfully not needed this extra capacity yet and I hope we never will – but we need all Victorians to stay at home to protect our health system and save lives.”

Quotes attributable to Minister for Health Jenny Mikakos

“Earlier in the year we started to prepare the system for a worst-case scenario to ensure that we had the equipment and resources necessary for our hospitals and ICUs to care for the needs of very ill coronavirus patients.”

“While we will not see the impacts of the current restrictions for at least another week we are confident that this additional capacity will ensure our health system can successfully manage the second wave of the outbreak.”

 

 

A Gippsland Flavorite Gets Help To Grow

Source: Government of Victoria 2

The Victorian Government and First State Super’s Victorian Business Growth Fund is backing a proud Warragul-based fresh produce business by providing the capital it needs to create more jobs and expand its operations.

The local company, Flavorite, is the first to benefit from a landmark investment by the Victorian Business Growth Fund.

The $250 million Victorian Business Growth Fund is a Victorian-first initiative that will invest in business on commercial terms and take an equity stake in business, rather than providing a grant.

Owners of Flavorite will now work with the VBGF’s independent fund manager, Roc Partners, to expand the business and explore new product lines and markets – meaning more local jobs in Gippsland and, as they grow, in the Goulburn Valley.

As businesses continue to deal with the economic impacts of coronavirus, accessing the capital they need to grow is likely to become an even greater barrier to success than it was before. That’s why the Government is partnering with First State Super, who will soon change its name to Aware Super, to back these businesses to expand.

Giving these businesses an opportunity to grow boosts productivity, increases employment and will help stimulate the business sectors doing it tough due to coronavirus.

These investments will help drive, high-skilled jobs in priority areas of the economy, including jobs for people who are unemployed, jobs for apprentices or jobs for people attempting to reskill.

Despite the economic crisis caused by coronavirus, the Government remains committed to working together with the private sector to deliver the growth the economy needs, such as superannuation funds, banks, businesses and not for profits.

Decisions about investments are made by independent fund manager Roc Partners. For more information about the Victorian Business Growth Fund or to apply online, visit dtf.vic.gov.au/businessgrowthfund

Quotes attributable to Treasurer Tim Pallas

“This landmark investment will back one of Gippsland’s proud agribusiness companies and create more local jobs.”

“We’re partnering with the private sector to invest in local companies – to boost the economy, drive employment and help businesses grow.”

Quote attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing

“Flavorite is a true Gippsland success story and has revolutionised the tomato business in Australia – now we’re helping them to expand even further to meet growing demand for their product.”

Quotes attributable to First State Super Chief Executive Deanne Stewart

“This investment in an agricultural producer in regional Victoria will create new jobs and will support the local economy to grow – we’re proud to be partnering with the Victorian Government to make a difference in regional communities.”

“The numerous growth opportunities available to the business through this capital injection is expected to deliver a strong return on investment for our members.”

Troy Joachim wanted on warrant

Source: State of Victoria Police

Thursday, 16 July 2020 00:23

Police are appealing for public assistance to help locate Shepparton man Troy Joachim.

A charge-and-warrant has been issued for the 23-year-old’s arrest for reckless conduct endanger life, dangerous driving whilst pursued by police,

fail to stop vehicle on police direction, and other offences in relation to an incident on 3 July in Shepparton.

Investigators have released an image of Joachim in the hope someone may have information on his current whereabouts.

Anyone who sights Joachim or has information about his current whereabouts is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Senior Constable Alistair Parsons

Media Officer

90359